- Sieve 650g plain white flour and 1 level tsp each of salt and bicarbonate of soda into a mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the centre of the mixture and pour in 350ml buttermilk.
- Use clean hands or a wooden spoon to mix until it becomes a soft, spongy dough. If it is too dry, add a little more buttermilk.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and shape it into a flat round about 5cm thick. Transfer to a baking tray and use a knife to mark the top of the dough with a cross that reaches the sides (this is to “let the fairies out”!).
- Bake at 230˚C/210˚C fan/gas mark 8 for 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to 200˚C/180˚C/gas mark 6 and cook for another 25-30 minutes. The bread is done when the bottom sounds hollow when tapped. Leave the bread to cool on a wire rack.
Per Serving 209cals, 0.8g (0.3g saturated), 42.8g carbs (1.6g sugars), 6.6g protein, 1.5g fibre, 0.331g sodium
You have to be signed in to comment this post.