- Combine 350g stone ground wholemeal flour, 50g plain white flour and 1 level tsp each of bicarbonate of soda, salt and brown sugar in a mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 large free range egg, 1 rounded tbsp treacle and 400ml buttermilk.
- Add to the mixing bowl and mix with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Transfer into a greased and lined 2lb loaf tin. Slash the top along the centre with a knife so that it will crack evenly while cooking.
- Bake at 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6 for one hour, until the bottom of the bread sounds hollow when tapped and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Per Serving: 122cals, 1.4g (0.3g saturated), 21.7g carbs (3.1g sugars), 5.6g protein, 3.4g fibre, 0.342g sodium