Whether you like it sweet or savoury, here’s how to make great French toast every time.
3 large eggs, beaten
Pinch of salt
4 thick slices white bread, slightly stale
Toppings of your choice (see box below!)
½ tsp salt
Crack of black pepper
1 tsp vanilla extract and/or ½ tsp cinnamon
- In a wide, shallow bowl, whisk together the egg, milk and either the savoury or sweet additions.
- Dredge one side of the bread slices in the mixture, then carefully flip them over and leave them to soak for 30-40 seconds.
- Melt half of the butter in a large non-stick pan over a medium heat and add two slices of the soaked bread. Cook for 4-5 minutes per side until golden-brown. Transfer to a plate and keep warm while you cook the remaining two slices in the remaining butter.
- Cut the bread on the diagonal and divide between two plates, then add your favourite savoury or sweet toppings.
Per serving 323kcals, 23.5g fat (12g saturated), 14.2g carbs (6.6g sugars), 14.2g protein, 0.4g fibre, 0.432g sodium
Serve it savoury:
- Extra crack of flaky sea salt
- Fried eggs
- Black or white pudding
- Plain yoghurt
- Herby butter
- Sautéed mushrooms
- Smoked salmon
Serve it sweet:
- Maple syrup
- Jam or fruit compote
- Cinnamon mixed with caster sugar
- Fresh fruit or berries
- Ricotta and honey
- Ice cream
- Chocolate hazelnut spread
- Chocolate chips or chocolate sauce