Master this easy method and you’ll never need to buy custard again!
Makes about 650ml
55ml single cream
1 vanilla pod
4 egg yolks
30g caster sugar
2 level tsp cornflour
- Combine the milk, cream and vanilla pod or extract in a saucepan over a low heat and slowly bring to a simmering point. Remove the vanilla pod.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar and cornflour until well blended.
- Whisking constantly, pour the hot milk mixture into the eggs. Whisk to combine.
- Quickly wash out the pan and dry it, then return the mixture to the clean, dry pan over a low heat. Stir gently with a wooden spoon for around 7-8 minutes until the custard has thickened enough to coat the back of the spoon.
- Pour the custard into a jug and serve immediately.
- Don’t be tempted to increase the heat, or the eggs will curdle.
- You can substitute 1 tsp vanilla extract for the vanilla pod; stir it in once you’ve returned the custard to the pan in step five.
- If you need to keep your custard hot for a short while before serving, cover the surface of the custard with cling film to prevent a skin from forming, then stand the jug in a pan of hot water.