2 large onions, roughly chopped
6 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp vegetable oil
8cm piece fresh ginger, roughly chopped
4 chicken thighs, cubed
2 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp fennel seeds
2 bay leaves
1 cinnamon stick
6 tbsp groundnut oil
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tbsp ground turmeric
2 tbsp tomato purée
1 tsp salt
600ml chicken stock or coconut milk
- Place the chopped onions, garlic and ginger in a food processor and blitz to make a paste.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pan and cook the chicken for a few minutes per side until browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the cumin seeds, fennel seeds, bay leaves and cinnamon stick to the same pan and allow to sizzle for one minute.
- Add the oil and, once hot, pour in the paste from the food processor and fry for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Add the ground spices, tomato purée and salt and pour in the chicken stock or coconut milk, depending on whether you want a creamy curry.
- Return the chicken to the pan and bring it to a simmer for 10 minutes until thickened.
Per serving 209cals, 0.8g (0.3g saturated), 42.8g carbs (1.6g sugars), 6.6g protein, 1.5g fibre, 0.331g sodium