Enjoy gorgeously fluffy rice every time with this easy how-to.
Splash of rapeseed or vegetable oil, or a knob of butter
1 cupful of basmati rice
2 cupfuls of boiling water
Sea salt and black pepper
- Heat the oil or butter in a heavy-based pan over a high heat.
- Add the rice and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring, until it has a nutty, toasted aroma.
- Add the boiling water and bring back to the boil, then turn the heat to its lowest setting and cover the pan with a lid. Cook for 7-8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to sit with the lid on for another 12-15 minutes.
- Use a fork to fluff the grains of rice gently, then season with some flaky sea salt and a generous crack of black pepper and serve.
Top tip: Multiply this recipe to serve more people as desired — simply make sure that the ration of uncooked rice to water is always 1:2.