We’ve all got an ice cube tray, and chances are we are definitely all under-utilising them. Here’s a few extra uses for this unsung kitchen hero.
What else can I do with my ice cube tray?
- Freeze chopped leftover herbs in olive oil for ready-to-use flavour bombs. This works best with firmer herbs like rosemary or sage.
- Whizz together herbs, oil, salt and pepper, then freeze as pesto cubes.
- Freeze extra chicken, beef or vegetable stock into grab-and-go cubes for a quick way to finish off sauces and stews.
- Purée and freeze slightly overripe avocados, then pop a cube into your next smoothie for a boost of healthy fats.
- Freeze soon-to-expire Greek yoghurt and add to smoothies for extra protein.
- Another smoothie booster? Freeze slightly wilted greens such as spinach or kale.
- Scoop out the leftover tomato purée from the bottom of the tin and freeze in the ice cube tray for adding to soups and stews.
- Freeze cubes of apples in a little yoghurt and a splash of water to make easy, healthy DIY dog treats.
- Spread peanut butter into the bottom half of the ice cube tray and top with melted chocolate chips. Pop into the freezer for refreshing grab-and-go sweet treats.