We know that gift-giving is a huge part of the holiday season, so why not get creative in the kitchen this year and share the foodie love with these homemade gifts?
Gingerbread cookie mix
Makes around 48 cookies using a 4cm gingerbread man cutter
1 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ tsp ground cloves
½ tsp allspice
½ tsp salt
550g plain flour
1½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
100g dark brown sugar
1l jar with clip-on lid
Coloured string, baking twine or ribbon
Other ingredients for recipe card:
125g butter, softened
170g black treacle
2 large eggs
- Combine the ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice and salt. Add the spice mixture to the bottom of the jar.
- Continue layering with the flour, followed by the bicarbonate of soda and then the dark brown sugar.
- Write the following instructions on the gift tag: “Mix 125g butter, 170g black treacle and 2 large eggs. Mix in the gift jar and chill the dough in the fridge for one hour. Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Roll out the dough, cut out cookies and place on a parchment-lined baking tray. Bake for 8-10 minutes until the edges just begin to brown. Allow to cool completely.
Per Serving: 83kcals, 2.5g fat (1.4g saturates), 13.7g carbs (4g sugars), 1.5g protein, 0.5g fibre, 0.086g sodium.
Salted caramel turtle fudge
Makes around 16 squares
450g mix of dark and milk chocolate, chopped
396g tin of sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
120ml caramel sauce
60g pecans, toasted and roughly chopped
1 tsp sea salt
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the chopped chocolate, condensed milk and butter. Microwave, uncovered, on low, in 30 second intervals, stirring in between each interval until the chocolate is completely melted. Stir until smooth.
- Stir in the vanilla extract. Spread the mixture into a 20cm square tin lined with parchment paper, smoothing into an even layer.
- Pour the caramel on top of the chocolate mixture, then sprinkle with the toasted pecans and sea salt.
- Refrigerate for about two hours until firm. Cut into small squares and serve.
Per Serving: 310kcals, 17g fat (8.9g saturated), 36.3g carbs (26g sugars), 4.1g protein, 2.4g fibre, 0.205g sodium
Hot chocolate stirrers
Makes around 18
500g mix of dark and milk chocolate
50g cocoa powder
125g icing sugar
¼ tsp salt flakes
10 soft caramel sweets, chopped
Mini marshmallows, plus extra to serve
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval until smooth.
- Stir in the cocoa powder, icing sugar and salt and mix well.
- Transfer the mixture into a piping bag and pipe into silicone mini muffin moulds. If you do not have a silicone mould, use a mini muffin mould lined with paper cups.
- Once piped, top the chocolates with caramel and marshmallows and add wooden or paper lollipop sticks.
- Allow to set for around four hours until firm, then remove from the moulds or paper cups. Have fun wrapping them in cellophane or bags as gifts!
- To make the hot chocolate, heat up milk or a mixture of milk and cream, place in a mug and swirl in the chocolate stick. Add extra marshmallows to serve.
Per Serving: 281kcals, 10.6g fat (5.9g saturated), 44g carbs (35.5g sugars), 3.2g protein, 1g fibre, 0.302g sodium
Spiced clementine gin
1 x 750ml bottle of gin
3 tbsp caster sugar
1 x 5cm piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
5 bay leaves
1 tsp black peppercorns
- Pour the gin into a sterilised jar or bottle. Using a peeler, peel strips of zest from the clementines and add them to the jar.
- Add the sugar, ginger, bay leaves and peppercorns and leave to infuse for one week. Decant into one large bottle or a few smaller bottles for gifting. Serve with tonic.
Per Serving: 131kcals, 0g fat (0g saturated), 5.6g carbs (4.7g sugars), 0.2g protein, 0.5g fibre, 0.01g sodium
130g pumpkin seeds
4 tbsp flaxseeds/linseeds
120ml maple syrup
120ml sunflower oil
¾ tsp sea salt
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ground ginger
50g dried cherries or cranberries
90g pecans, toasted
45g dates, chopped
- Preheat oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas
mark 4. Line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Spread the mixture onto the baking tray. Bake for 40 minutes, giving it a good stir halfway through.
- Allow to cool, then transfer to a large bowl. Add the dried cherries (or cranberries), pecans and dates.
- Store the granola in a sealed container for up to one month.
Per Serving: 227kcals, 14.7g fat (1.9g saturated), 20.9g carbs (7.5g sugars), 4.6g protein, 3.1g fibre, 0.082g sodium
White chocolate rocky road
Makes 16 squares
550g white chocolate
25g toasted coconut
50g mixed peel
50g dried cranberries
50g goji berries
100g pistachios, chopped
- Line a 20cm square tin with parchment paper. In a large bowl, melt the chocolate in the microwave in 30 second intervals until melted, stirring after each interval, until completely smooth.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and spread evenly into the tin. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Once set, remove from the tin and cut into squares. These will keep for a week in an airtight container or in the fridge.
Per Serving: 268kcals, 14.7g fat (7.4g saturated), 32.4g carbs (28.1g sugars), 3.5g protein, 1.5g fibre, 0.72g sodium