Two easy methods for toasting nuts
On the hob:
- Heat a large pan over a medium-high heat. Do not add any oil, fat or cooking spray – the nuts have enough oils of their own.
- When the pan is hot, add a single layer of nuts. Cook for 4-5 minutes until golden brown and aromatic, stirring frequently.
- Remove from the heat and transfer the nuts to a plate to cool; this will prevent them from continuing to cook in the pan’s residual heat.
In the oven:
- Preheat the oven to 180 ̊C/160 ̊C fan/gas mark 4.
- Spread the nuts out on a baking tray in a single layer. Roast for the times shown in the box below, tossing the nuts and rotating the tray halfway through. Allow to cool.
Oven cooking times
- Almonds, flaked: 7-8 minutes
- Almonds, whole: 10 minutes
- Chestnuts: 25 minutes
- Hazelnuts: 12-15 minutes
- Pecans: 10-15 minutes
- Pine nuts: 5 minutes
- Walnuts: 10-15 minutes
- Peanuts: 20-25 minutes