Looking for something fun to do with the kids this Halloween? Why not try your hand at pumpkin carving? It’s a seriously fun activity and can also produce both spooky and delicious results (with the leftovers ) Here’s everything you need to know about how to get carving today!
You will need:⠀
1 medium pumpkin (or as many as you want to carve)
Pumpkin carving knife or other serrated knife
- Line a sturdy table with newspaper. Decide which side of the pumpkin is best for the face.
- Use a permanent marker to draw eyes, a nose and a smile or grimace.
- Outline a circular lid around the pumpkin stem, about 12cm in diameter.
- With a slim pumpkin carving knife or serrated knife, cut out the pumpkin lid, working at a slight inward angle so that the lid can be replaced without falling in.
- Use your hands to pull out the pumpkin seeds along with their stringy membranes and set aside in a colander.
- Using a metal spoon, scrape out the inside of the pumpkin until no stringy bits remain, placing the removed “guts” in a second bowl.
- Wipe off the outside of the pumpkin so that it will be easier to hold and therefore safer to carve.
- Make straight cuts into your pumpkin along the lines you’ve drawn, removing and discarding the pieces.
- Insert a tea light in the bottom of your pumpkin. Use a long match or lighter to light the pumpkin and replace the lid.
Happy carving everyone!
You have to be signed in to comment this post.