The dishwasher can only clean things properly when it is clean itself!
- Cleaning the dishwasher filter:
This should be done once a week to prevent build-up. The filter is usually found at the bottom of your machine and is filled with bits of food. Usually it’s removable, so you can empty the solids into the bin and rinse it out under the tap. If not, use a small spoon to scoop out the build-up. Be careful in case there are any shards or sharp chips from glassware or crockery.
2. Cleaning the dishwasher seals:
The seal around the dishwasher door is a haven for mould build-up. Once a month, use a damp cloth to clean around the rubber seal. Not only will this keep your dishwasher more hygienic, but it will also remove any dirt that could prevent a proper seal forming and lead to leaks.
3. Run the dishwasher with vinegar:
Put 250ml plain white vinegar in the bottom of the dishwasher and run it empty and hot. This will keep your dishwasher smelling fresh and clean by removing food residue from the inside of the machine. This should be done once every six months.
DIY dishwasher bomb
Help keep your dishwasher smelling fresh as a daisy with this simple fix.
260g bicarbonate of soda
3 tbsp hydrogen peroxide
10-20 drops essential oil
1 tbsp dish detergent
- In a bowl, combine together the baking soda, hydrogen peroxide and essential oil until it resembles damp sand.
- Use a large spoon or ice cream scoop to mould the mixture into spherical “bombs,” then gently tap out onto a parchment-lined baking tray. The baking soda naturally scrubs your dishwasher, while the hydrogen peroxide cleans and whitens and the essential oil lends a fresh scent. Let the bombs dry for several hours or overnight.
- When ready to use, fill a glass or ceramic bowl with the vinegar and add your favourite liquid dish-washing detergent. Mix together, then place the bowl on the top rack of your dishwasher.
- Place one baking soda bomb on the bottom rack in the silverware holder and run your dishwasher set on the hottest setting. Once the cycle is complete, open and enjoy a sparkling-clean dishwasher!