Playdough is the source of endless hours of entertainment, but did you know you can add the fun by making your own? You can even add (preferably biodegradable) glitter or a drop of essential oil at any stage to make extra special playdough!
What you will need:
- 250g plain flour
- 100g table salt
- 30g cream of tartar
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil (you can use sunflower/coconut/vegetable/baby oil)
- 200-250ml boiling water
- Food colouring of your choice
- 3-4 drops of glycerine (optional, but adds shine and smoothness)
- Get all of your ingredients ready.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, salt, cream of tartar and oil. Mix until well combined.
3. In a jug, stir together the food colouring and the boiling water.
4. Pour the water into the mixture in the bowl and stir continuously until it becomes a sticky dough. Add the glycerine, if using. Allow the mixture to cool for 10 minutes until it’s cool enough to handle safely.
5. Take the dough out of the bowl and knead it for a few minutes until all of the stickiness has gone. This is the most important part, so keep kneading until it’s nice and smooth. If it continues to be a little too sticky, add a touch more flour.
6. It’s playtime!
Top tip: To keep the playdough from going hard, store in a zip-lock bag or airtight container, ideally in the fridge. It shouldn’t dry out, but if you notice it getting a bit dry, add a couple of drops of water and knead thoroughly.