Homemade ice cream is a breeze with this clever recipe — no ice cream maker required!
1½ tbsp sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
4-5 handfuls of ice, crushed or cubed
85g coarse salt
1 medium re-sealable plastic freezer bag
1 large plastic re-sealable plastic freezer bag
- Combine the cream, vanilla and sugar in the medium plastic bag. Seal the bag tightly, making sure to press out any air trapped inside.
- Mix the ice and salt together in the large plastic bag.
- Place the medium bag into the large plastic bag and seal tightly.
- Shake the bag vigorously for about five minutes. You can have fun tossing it around, but you might need to wear winter gloves as the bag will be very cold.
- After about five minutes, the liquid inside the smaller bag will have hardened. Without opening the bags, let them sit on a plate or towel for another few minutes, rearranging the ice in the larger bag so that it’s surrounding the smaller bag.
- Open both bags up and scoop the ice cream from the small bag. Serve immediately in bowls or cones.
Per Serving 192kcals, 5.6g fat (3.5g saturated), 36.3g carbs, 35.2g sugars, 0.8g protein, 0g fibre, 0.33g sodium
MAKE IT YOURS:
- For frozen yoghurt: use a mixture of yoghurt and cream.
- For dairy-free ice cream: use coconut milk instead of cream.
- For creamy sorbet: use a combination of cream and fruit juice.
- For chocolate ice cream: use chocolate syrup.