You’ll love these quick and versatile homemade flatbreads. Add your favourite toppings, use them as pizza bases or brush them with garlic butter and serve with a curry as naan breads.
1 x 7g packet of active dry yeast
¾ tsp salt
½ tsp brown sugar
240g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for greasing
180ml warm water
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the yeast, salt, sugar and flour. Whisk together.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the olive oil and 140ml of the warm water. Stir with a wooden spoon to mix. Add more water as needed until the mixture comes together into a dough.
- Transfer to a clean, floured surface and knead for 2-3 minutes until smooth and elastic, adding more flour as needed to prevent sticking.
- Wipe out the mixing bowl, add a splash of oil and rub around the bowl to coat. Add the dough and turn to coat in the oil, then position seam-side down. Cover with a damp tea towel or cling film. Set aside to rise in a warm place for one hour.
- Once doubled in size, divide the dough into six even pieces. Place on a clean surface and place the damp towel on top. Allow to rest for 45 minutes longer.
- Heat a large pan over a medium-high heat.
- Working one at a time, roll each piece of dough out on a lightly floured surface to form a large, thin circle about 2mm thick.
- Lightly coat the preheated pan with oil or cooking spray. Add one of the flatbreads. Cook without moving for 2½ minutes, then flip and cook the other side for 2½ minutes. Set aside while you cook the remaining flatbreads, adding more oil or cooking spray as necessary.
- Serve immediately with your favourite toppings, or allow to cool completely and store for up to three days in an airtight bag or container.
TOP TIP: Add flavourings such as crushed garlic, spices or finely chopped fresh herbs — simply stir them into the mixing bowl in step one.