Five superfoods for hair and nails
Between the blustery cold winds outside and heating systems in homes and offices, we all know winter can wreak havoc on our hair, skin and nails. Keep the dryness at bay with these five fab foods.
- Zinc deficiencies can cause dry or brittle hair, and even alopecia.
Try: Cashews, green beans, lean beef, lobster, oysters and soybeans.
- Deficiency in essential fatty acids can result in dry scalp or dandruff, so bulk up on omega-3s to give your locks extra lustre and shine.
Try: Eggs, flaxseed, oily fish, spinach and walnuts.
- Biotin can improve hair that is splitting or thinning as well as strengthen weakened nails.
Try: Bananas, beans, cauliflower, eggs, lentils, peanuts and salmon.
- Eating enough protein is crucial for strong hair and nails, as both are made from a protein called keratin.
Try: Chicken, eggs, lean red meats, dairy, nuts, seafood, soybeans and whole grains.
- Vitamin A keeps hair looking and feeling healthy by producing a natural conditioner for the scalp known as sebum.
Try: Apricots, broccoli, carrots, Cheddar, egg yolks, mangoes, oatmeal, spinach and sweet potatoes.