1 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, roughly chopped
3 mixed peppers, deseeded and chopped
2 red chillies, chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
½ tbsp brown sugar
500ml vegetable stock
1 x 400g tin of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
Large handful of fresh coriander, finely chopped, leaves and stalks separated
Juice of ½ a lime
4 bread rolls, tops sliced off, insides hollowed out
40g tortilla chips, lightly crushed
80g Cheddar, grated
3 pickled jalapeños from a jar, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium-high heat and cook the onion for five minutes. Add the peppers and cook for 8-10 minutes more. Add the chillies, garlic, spices and oregano and cook for 2-3 minutes longer.
- Stir in the tinned tomatoes, red wine vinegar, sugar and stock, then bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6. Add the beans, coriander stalks and lime juice and cook for 3-4 minutes longer.
- Ladle the chilli into the bread bowls and top with the crushed tortillas and grated cheese. Place on a baking tray and bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- In a small bowl, combine the coriander leaves and the jalapeños. Scatter over the chilli to serve.
Per serving: 292kcals, 5.5g fat (1.8g saturated), 47.8g carbs (6.2g sugars), 15.3g protein, 8.1g fibre, 0.476g sodium
Love this recipe and want more inspiration? Check out our loaded veggie chilli fries!