Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the burger sauce:
For the burger:
- In a bowl, combine the egg yolk, mustard, lemon juice and vinegar. Whisk vigorously to combine well.
- Very slowly, dribble the vegetable oil into the egg mixture while whisking constantly, so it emulsies and thickens like a mayonnaise.
- When the sauce has thickened, stir in the ketchup and season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Preheat the barbecue to 180-230˚C. Remove the burgers from the fridge and allow to come to room temperature.
- Cook the burgers on the barbecue for 4-5 minutes per side or until completely cooked throughout. Add the rashers to the grill and cook until crisp.
- Place a slice of cheese on the top of each burger and allow to melt.
- To assemble, spread the burger sauce on both sides of the burger buns.
- Place some lettuce and sliced tomato on the bottom buns and add a burger on top of each one. Layer on some gherkins and the crispy bacon. Sandwich together with the top buns and serve.
Per serving: 816kcals, 4t6.8g fat (14g saturated), 52.2g carbs (18.9g sugars), 42.7g protein, 2.1g bre, 1.143g sodium