Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the pastry:
For the filling:
- For the pastry, combine the plain flour and cold butter in a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the cold water and a pinch of salt and pulse again until the mixture starts to come together. Turn it out onto a work surface and gather it into a smooth ball. Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 30-60 minutes.
- Place the pastry onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to roughly 3-4mm in thickness. Fold the pastry over a rolling pan and gently transfer it to a 24cm loose bottomed, fluted tart tin. Ease the pastry into the base and press it up against the sides.
- Trim the pastry edges so it sits slightly above the tin; this way, if it shrinks, it won’t go below the level of the tin. Press the pastry into the flutes. Lightly prick the base with a fork, then refrigerate for 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6 and place a baking tray in the oven. Line the pastry case with parchment paper — shiny-side down — and fill with baking beans, dried beans or rice. Place on the hot baking tray and cook for 15 minutes
- Remove the tin, then discard the paper and baking beans. Place the tin back in the oven and bake for another 5-10 minutes until the pastry is golden brown. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Cut each onion half into four wedges, so you end up with 16 wedges. Place on a tray, drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat and roast for 10-15 minutes until soft.
- Beat together the yoghurt and eggs until well combined. Stir in the parsley and lemon zest and season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 190˚C/170˚C fan/gas mark 5. Add the red onions, beetroot and mackerel to the pastry case.
- Pour in the egg mixture, then bake for 25- 30 minutes until the quiche is golden and the filling has set.
Per serving: 493kcals, 28.4g fat (15.4g saturated), 42.3g carbs, 8.5g sugars, 17g protein, 2.6g fibre, 0.259g sodium
DinnerPicnicFish & seafoodFreezer-friendlyQuicheDiabetic-friendlyBreakfast & BrunchLow-fatSpecial OccasionsFrenchCuisinesBudget mealsMake it Healthy
Popular in Picnic
Easy fried chicken and asian slaw