1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 large tomato, chopped
1 red or yellow pepper, deseeded and chopped
1 jalapeño, cored and diced (optional)
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp chilli powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1 x 400g tin of kidney or black beans
240g uncooked long grain rice
600ml chicken or vegetable stock
1 bunch of fresh coriander, leaves picked, leaves and stalks chopped
240g Cheddar, grated
Salt and black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium-high heat. Add the onion, tomato, pepper and jalapeño and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring regularly. Add the garlic, chilli powder and cumin and cook for another 2-3 minutes, stirring.
- Stir in the beans, rice, stock, the coriander stalks and half of the cheese. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Stir to combine together, then cover the pan with tin foil and cook over a medium-high heat for 15 minutes or until all the stock has been absorbed by the rice, stirring every few minutes.
- Turn the grill on to a high heat. Remove the tin foil and sprinkle the rice mixture with the remaining cheese. Place the pan under the grill for 3-4 minutes until the cheese is bubbling.
- Allow to rest for five minutes, then top with the chopped coriander leaves and serve in bowls.
Per serving: 500kcals, 7g fat (2.3g saturated), 81.1g carbs, 3.7g sugars, 29.3g protein, 12.6g fibre, 0.584g sodium
MAKE IT YOURS:
To make this suitable for children, simply omit the jalapeño and use mild chilli powder.