200g macaroni (or other short pasta, e.g. penne)
3 tbsp plain flour
Salt and black pepper
1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
200g Cheddar, grated
1 x 160g tin of tuna, drained
Handful of breadcrumbs (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta for two minutes less than package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large oven-safe pan over a medium-high heat. Add the flour and cook for two minutes, stirring constantly.
- Gradually stir in the milk. Season with salt and black pepper and cook over a medium heat for 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Cook for another 5-6 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Add the cheese and stir until melted. Stir in the pasta and tuna.
- Top with the breadcrumbs, if using, and bake for 30-35 minutes until golden on top and bubbling around the edges.
Per serving: 540kcals, 20.5g fat (11g saturated), 53g carbs (10.1g sugars), 35.1g protein, 3g fibre, 0.506g sodium
OPTIONAL EXTRAS: Not a fan of tuna? Leave it out entirely for a veggie version, or stir in some cooked chicken, turkey, bacon or ham instead. Stir in some halved cherry tomatoes, if desired, or finish with chopped fresh basil.