2 tbsp rapeseed oil
1kg beef chuck, chopped into large
Salt and black pepper
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbsp chilli powder
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp cumin
3 tbsp tomato purée
480ml chicken stock
2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
1 x 400g tin of pinto, black or
kidney beans, drained
6 tortilla wraps
120g Cheddar, grated
Fresh coriander, chopped
Lime wedges, for squeezing
- Preheat the oven to 150˚C/130˚C fan/gas mark 2.
- Heat the oil in a large casserole dish over a high heat.
- Season the beef generously with salt and pepper. Working in batches if necessary to avoid crowding the pan, sear the beef on all sides until browned. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onion to the casserole dish and cook over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic, chilli powder, cocoa powder, paprika and cumin and cook for two minutes. Stir in the tomato purée and cook for one minute, then pour in the beer. Allow to bubble for 1-2 minutes, using a wooden spoon to scrape any sticky bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Return the beef to the pan and add the stock and tinned tomatoes. Cover tightly with a layer of tin foil, then add the lid of the casserole dish. Place in the oven and cook for three hours.
- Remove the beef from the chilli, place on a board and shred the meat with two forks. Stir Tortilla bowls with slow-cooked chilli beef the shredded beef back into the sauce and add the beans. Cover again with a lid and keep warm over a very low heat.
- Meanwhile, turn the oven to 220˚C/200˚C fan/gas mark 7. Soften the tortillas in the microwave for 20-30 seconds until soft.
- Lightly spray the tortillas with cooking spray on both sides. Form each tortilla into a loose bowl shape and tuck between cups of an upside down muffin tin, pressing down in the middle of each one so that it will have a flat base. Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden brown and crispy all over.
- To serve, ladle the chilli into the tortilla bowls and top with the grated cheese.
- Top the bowls with your choice of chopped coriander, jalapeños, sour cream and/or sliced avocado. Serve with lime wedges, for squeezing
Per serving: 838kcals, 48.8g fat (17.2g saturated), 42.1g carbs (7g sugars), 54.2g protein, 6.5g fibre, 0.971g sodium