Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the biscuit base:
For the cupcake:
For the marshmallow meringue icing:
For the chocolate coating:
- Preheat the oven to 180 ̊C/160 ̊C fan/gas mark 4. Line a 12-hole muffin tray with paper muffin cases.
- For the base, combine the crushed biscuits, butter and golden syrup together in a bowl. Stir until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Add one tablespoon of the biscuit mixture to the bottom of each cupcake case. Use the back of the spoon to flatten the mixture out to form a base. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sieve together the flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, caster sugar, brown sugar, oil and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Pour half of the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Add half of the buttermilk and whisk to combine. Repeat this step until all of the ingredients are combined. This will be a thin batter.
- Fill the cupcake cases with the batter to about three-quarters full. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of a cupcake comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.
- For the marshmallow topping, set a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. Add all of the ingredients for the topping. Using a hand mixer, whisk the mixture for five minutes or until it reaches stiff peaks.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and beat for one minute longer. The meringue should hold its peaks and be super marshmallow.
- Spoon the meringue mixture into a piping bag fitted with a large round nozzle. Swirl the meringue over the top of each cupcake, building it nice and high. Place the cupcakes in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
- For the chocolate topping, add the chocolate and oil to a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. Stir until the chocolate has melted.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into a tall jug so you have the height to dip the marshmallow.
- Remove the chilled cupcakes from the fridge. One at a time, dip the marshmallow into the chocolate mix until covered. Lift up and allow the excess to drip off. Repeat this process for all the cupcakes.
- Allow the cupcakes to chill for up to two hours until fully set.
Sunflower oil can be used as an alternative to vegetable oil, if you wish.
Coconut oil can be used as an alternative to vegetable oil, if you wish.
Per serving: 546kcals, 24.5g fat (9.4g saturated), 79.7g carbs (56.9g sugars), 5.5g protein, 3.8g fibre, 0.253g sodium
BirthdayChristmasPicnicSweet thingsEasterCupcakesMother’s DayValentine’s DaySpecial OccasionsAfternoon teaBaking
Popular in Birthday
Pizza cookie cake