Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/ gas mark 6.
- Place the flour in a large mixing bowl and stir in the baking powder. Use your fingers to rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the thyme and 80g of the Cheddar.
- In a measuring jug, whisk together the egg and milk. Stir in the pesto.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and pour in the egg mixture. Use a butter knife to bring the mixture together into a soft dough.
- Transfer onto a lightly floured work surface and knead briefly to bring the mix together. Roll the dough out until it is about 2cm thick. Using a 6cm pastry cutter, cut out 10 scones, rerolling the dough as you go.
- Arrange the scones on a baking tray, spaced well apart.
- Brush the tops with a little extra milk and then sprinkle with the remaining grated Cheddar.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until risen and golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Serve the scones warm or at room temperature, buttered, with slices of good cheese and dollops of relish.
Per scone: 224kcals, 10.8g fat (6.1g saturated), 24.6g carbs (0.6g sugars), 6.8g protein, 1.4g fibre, 0.138g sodium
SconesPicnicSweet thingsBreakfast & BrunchLow-fatSpecial OccasionsAfternoon teaBakingMake it HealthyVegetarian
Popular in Scones