175g butter, at room temperature
150g golden caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
250g self-raising flour
175g strawberries, de-stemmed and roughly chopped
80g granulated sugar
2 tbsp orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Grease a standard 900g loaf tin and line with parchment paper.
- Beat the butter and golden caster sugar in a mixing bowl for three minutes until the mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract until creamy.
- Stir in the flour with a spatula until the mixture is just combined.
- Spread one-third of the batter into the tin, then scatter over one-third of the strawberries.
- Carefully dot and spread half of the remaining batter on top, and scatter with half of the remaining strawberries.
- Dot the rest of the batter over and spread with the back of a spoon. Bake for one hour, until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Poke the cake all over with a skewer. Combine the remaining strawberries with the granulated sugar in a bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds, then mash roughly with the back of a fork. Stir in the orange juice.
- Spoon the mixture over the cake and leave to set and cool in the tin.
- Remove from the tin and top with whipped cream and fresh strawberries to serve.
328kcals, 15.4g fat (9.3g saturated), 43.8g carbs, 24.3g sugars, 4g protein, 1g fibre, 0.114g sodium