Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
- Heat half of the oil in a casserole dish over a medium-high heat.
- Working in batches to avoid crowding the pan, brown the beef on all sides, then transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper.
- Preheat the oven to 150 ̊C/130 ̊C fan/gas mark 2.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same casserole dish and turn the heat to medium. Add the onion and cook for 4-5 minutes until translucent.
- Add the tomatoes, peppers, jalapeños, garlic, chilli powder, cumin and coriander. Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine. Return the beef to the dish.
- Slowly pour in just enough stock to barely cover the beef and vegetables – you might not need it all. Bring to a boil, then cover with a lid and transfer to the oven.
- Cook gently for two hours, stirring occasionally and adding a splash of water if necessary to keep it from drying out.
- Serve with rice, beans and/or some warm tortillas.
Note: round steak can be used as an alternative to chuck steak, if you wish.
chuck or round steak
Per serving: 544kcals, 31.2g fat (9.8g saturated), 13.9g carbs (6.6g sugars), 50.7g protein, 4.5g fibre, 0.57g sodium
BeefDinnerStep-by-stepDinnerSpecial OccasionsHigh-proteinKidsFamily mealsCuisinesSlow cookerBudget mealsComfort foodMake it Healthy
Popular in Beef
Steak with greens & celeriac mash