For the chicken:
5 shallots, finely sliced
1 green Chilli, finely chopped (more if you prefer hotter)
½ tsp turmeric
2 tsp Siúcra Rich Dark Sugar
½ tsp paprika
2 large chicken fillets, sliced in half
100ml chicken stock
3 garlic cloves, skin left on
1 tbsp olive oil
50g diced pancetta
For the pickle:
8 radishes, thinly sliced
2 tsp pink peppercorns
½ tsp mustard seeds
125ml apple cider vinegar
80g Siúcra caster sugar
1 tsp salt
½ orange zested
½ tsp paprika
½ lemon, juice only
A few sprigs of coriander, chopped
Iceberg lettuce leaves, torn
You will need:
2 loaf pumpernickel loaves (you will need 36 small discs of bread)
Small skewers, for the sandwiches
Coriander leaves, to decorate
Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
Line the base of a muffin tray with discs of parchment paper and brush the tin
generously with melted butter.
To prepare the chicken
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
2. Heat an ovenproof frying pan with a little oil, add the shallots and sauté
for about 4 minutes until softened but not brown.
3. Add the Chilli, turmeric, rich dark sugar and paprika and sauté for 1
minute before adding the chicken fillets. Brown the chicken lightly on all
4. Pour in the stock and bring the boil.
5. Place the garlic cloves into the pan and transfer to the oven.
6. Cook for about 18 to 20 minutes until fully cooked. Basting and turning
from time to time.
7. Remove the garlic when cooked. When cool, peel the skin off and add to
the mayonnaise. Stir in well and set aside.
8. Heat a frying pan over a medium heat and add the pancetta, fry until
crispy. Set aside.
9. Once the chicken is cooked, remove from the oven, cool and shred.
To make the radish pickle
1. Place the peppercorns, mustard seeds, vinegar, sugar, salt and orange zest
in a small saucepan and heat until the sugar dissolves. Add the radish
slices and remove from the heat to cool completely.
2. Add the shredded chicken to the garlic mayonnaise, season with salt and
freshly ground black pepper and some lemon juice to taste. Add the
chopped coriander and the crispy pancetta.
To make up the sandwiches
1. Shape the bread using a small round cutter – you will need 36 rounds,
place 24 pieces on a board.
2. Spread each slice of bread with chicken mayonnaise and slices of radishes
and lettuce leaves. Place half of the sandwiches on top of the others and
top with the other pieces of rye bread. Push a skewer through each
sandwich and place on a platter ready for serving.
Per serving 194kcals, 7.2g fat (1.5g saturated), 27.8g carbs, 8.4g sugars, 8.9g protein, 0.4g fibre, 0.437g sodium