Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200˚C fan/gas mark 7.
- Season the cavity of the turkey generously with salt and pepper and place the herbs inside the cavity.
- Use your hands to loosen the skin from the breast meat, being careful not to tear the skin. Repeat with the skin on the legs, working from the lower side of the breast out towards the leg. Rub half of the butter in under the skin.
- Place the bird in a large roasting pan, breast-side up. Rub the remaining butter all over the skin. Season well with salt and pepper, then drizzle with a little olive oil.
- Cover the turkey with foil and roast for 40 minutes, then lower the heat to 170°C/150˚C fan/gas mark 3 and cook for a further 3½ hours, basting occasionally with the juices in the bottom of the tray.
- Remove the foil and cook for another 30-40 minutes until a thermometer registers the internal temperature at 74˚C and the juices run clear.
- Leave the turkey to rest in a warm place for at least 20-30 minutes before carving.
Per Serving 654kcals, 47.1g fat (19.4g saturated), 0.1g carbs, 0g sugars, 54.5g protein, 0g fibre, 0.809g sodium
Serve with this classic gravy
Wondering what size turkey you should buy? Check out our handy guide here.
And don’t miss the Top 10 Turkey Tips from our expert butcher.