Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
- Heat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat and cook the onion for 8-10 minutes. Add the garlic and oregano and cook for 1-2 minutes longer.
- Add the tomatoes and crush against the sides of the pan using a wooden spoon. Season with salt and pepper and add the bay leaf and sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Taste and add more salt, pepper or sugar as needed.
- Pour half of the tomato sauce into a 20cm square baking dish. Arrange half the bread pieces over the sauce, tearing them to fit into a roughly even layer and pressing them down lightly. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Layer over half of the Mozzarella. Pour over the remaining sauce and top with the remaining bread pieces, pushing them down a little into the sauce. Drizzle over more olive oil and scatter over the remaining Mozzarella.
- Bake for 25 minutes until golden and bubbling. Allow to sit for 10 minutes, then serve with a green salad.
Per serving: 389kcals, 19.9g fat (19g saturated), 34.3g carbs (9.9g sugars), 20.1g protein, 3.7g fibre, 0.624g sodium
Popular in Meat-free
Veggie-packed fried rice