1.5kg topside of beef
2 celery stalks
1 head of garlic
1 bunch of mixed fresh herbs,
such as thyme, rosemary, bay and/or sage
Olive oil, for drizzling
Salt and black pepper
For the cauliflower cheese:
1 cauliflower, broken into medium pieces
50g plain flour
120g mature Cheddar, grated
- Remove the beef from the fridge around 45 minutes before cooking to allow it to come up to room temperature. Preheat the oven to 240°C/220˚C fan/gas mark 9.
- Wash and roughly chop the vegetables – there’s no need to peel them. Break the garlic bulb into cloves, leaving them unpeeled.
- Pile all the vegetables, garlic and herbs into the middle of a large roasting tray and drizzle with oil.
- Drizzle the beef with oil and season well with sea salt and black pepper, then rub all over the meat. Place the beef on top of the vegetables.
- Roast in the centre of the oven for 20 minutes, then reduce the heat to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Roast the beef for a further 12-15 minutes per 500g weight for medium/rare, or until cooked to your liking.
- While the beef cooks, prepare the cauliflower cheese. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, then add the cauliflower and cook for five minutes until just tender. Drain the cauliflower, then tip into an ovenproof dish.
- Put the saucepan back on the heat and add the milk, flour and butter. Keep whisking fast as the butter melts and the mixture comes to the boil – the flour will disappear and the sauce will begin to thicken. Whisk for two minutes while the sauce bubbles and becomes thick.
- Turn off the heat and stir in most of the grated Cheddar until melted. Pour the sauce over the cauliflower and top with the remaining Cheddar.
- Remove the beef from the oven and transfer to a board. Tent loosely with foil and allow to rest for 20 minutes before carving.
- Increase the oven temperature to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6. While the meat rests, place the cauliflower into the oven. Bake for 20 minutes until golden on top and bubbling at the sides.
Per serving: 441kcals, 16.3g fat (10.1g saturated), 15.5g carbs (6.9g sugars), 10.5g protein, 2.6g fibre, 0.235g sodium