Makes 5-6 small jars, or 2-3 large ones
5-6 pink grapefruits, or 1kg of pink grapefruit flesh
Juice of 2 lemons
1l grapefruit juice
1kg granulated sugar
- Wash the grapefruits in hot water to remove any wax. Using a vegetable peeler or a sharp paring knife, remove the peel and set aside. Remove the pith and discard.
- Chop the pink grapefruit flesh, discarding any pips. Place the grapefruit in a large, heavybased stainless steel pan. Add the lemon juice and grapefruit juice.
- Cut the reserved peel into 2cm strips around 2mm thick. Make enough to fill one cup, then
add to the pan. Bring to the boil and simmer until the peel is soft.
- Meanwhile, warm the sugar in a stainless steel bowl in a low oven for around 15 minutes. Add to the boiling fruit and bring up to 103°C on a sugar thermometer.
- Sterilise jam jars by washing and drying thoroughly, then placing in the oven at 180°C
for 15 minutes.
- Pour the marmalade into the sterilised jars, seal well and store until needed.