4 tbsp olive oil
2 carrots, grated
1 onion, grated
1 courgette, grated
4 garlic cloves, chopped
Salt and black pepper
4 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
1 tsp dried oregano
900g minced beef
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
30g Parmesan, grated, plus extra to serve
500g penne or rigatoni
- Heat half of the oil in a large pot over a medium heat. Add the grated vegetables, half of the garlic and some seasoning and cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown.
- Add the tomatoes and the oregano into the pot. Simmer for 35-40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened.
- In a large bowl, gently combine the beef, breadcrumbs, eggs, Parmesan, the remaining garlic and some salt and pepper. Gently shape into 32 meatballs.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large pan over a medium-high heat. Working in batches, brown the meatballs on all sides. Add to the sauce and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature, then place the meatballs with their sauce into a freezer-safe container and freeze.
- Defrost the night before serving. To reheat, run the container under warm water until the frozen sauce slides out. Transfer to a large pan and cook, covered, over a medium-low heat for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Top with the meatballs, sauce and additional Parmesan to serve.
Per Serving 595kcals, 18.5g fat (5g saturated), 58.2g carbs, 8.8g sugars, 48.9g protein, 3.6g fibre, 0.234g sodium