250g macaroni or other short pasta
4 tbsp plain flour
500ml lactose-free milk
Salt and black pepper
200g aged Cheddar, grated
For the topping:
30g ghee, melted
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Lightly grease an 18 x 28cm baking dish with olive oil.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the macaroni for one minute less than stated in the package instructions. Drain, rinse under cold water and set aside.
- Add the ghee to the empty pasta pot and melt over a medium heat. Add the flour and whisk for one minute.
- Still whisking, slowly pour in the lactose-free milk. Allow the mixture to come to a gentle simmer, lowering the temperature slightly if needed, and keep whisking for another 5-6 minutes until thickened.
- Stir in the Cheddar and mix until completely melted. Remove from the heat. Stir in the macaroni and mix until completely coated with the cheese sauce. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the topping and stir to coat the breadcrumbs in the ghee. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs evenly over the top of the pasta.
- Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until the top is golden-brown and the sauce is bubbling around the edges.
Per serving: 573kcals, 26g fat (15.1g saturated), 58.2g carbs (7.5g sugars), 26.3g protein, 0.9g fibre, 0.536g sodium
Find out how to make your own ghee here to really personalise this recipe