For the ragù:
2 tbsp olive oil
900g beef mince
2 onions, finely chopped
1 courgette, finely chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp dried oregano
2 tbsp plain flour
150ml beef stock
1 tsp sugar
3 tbsp tomato purée
2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
For the white sauce:
50g plain flour
750ml hot milk
2 tsp Dijon mustard
60g mature white Cheddar, grated
Salt and black pepper
For the lasagne:
12 lasagne sheets
40g Parmesan, grated
- For the ragù, heat the oil in a large pan over a medium-high heat. Add the mince, season with salt and pepper and cook for 6-8 minutes until no pink parts remain, breaking up any lumps with a wooden spoon. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the mince to a plate. Drain away all but one tablespoon of fat from the pan.
- Add the onions, courgette and carrot and cook for 5-6 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and oregano and cook for one minute.
- Return the mince to the pan and stir in the flour. Add the stock and bring to the boil. Add the sugar and tomato purée and stir to combine well. Stir in the tinned tomatoes.
- Bring to the boil again, then cover and simmer over a low heat for one hour.
- For the white sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add the flour and whisk for 1-2 minutes. Gradually whisk in the hot milk and keep whisking for 4-5 minutes until thickened. Stir in the mustard and Cheddar and season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble the lasagne, soak the lasagne sheets in boiling water in a single layer for five minutes, then drain.
- Spread one-third of the meat sauce over the base of a 22cm baking dish. Spoon one third of the white sauce on top. Arrange one layer of lasagne sheets on top.
- Spoon half of the remaining meat sauce on top and then half of the white sauce. Put another layer of lasagne sheets on top, then the remaining meat sauce and remaining white sauce. Sprinkle over the Parmesan.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6. Bake the lasagne for 45 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling. Allow to rest for 5-10 minutes, then serve with salad and/or garlic bread.
843kcals, 29.7g fat (12.6g saturated), 75.1g carbs (14.7g sugars), 67.9g protein, 3.9g fibre, 0.499g sodium