For the Bolognese:
1½ tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 large carrot, finely chopped
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
500g beef mince
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1 bay leaf
1 tbsp tomato purée
2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
100ml red wine
100ml beef stock
Salt and black pepper
For the Sloppy Joes:
100g butter, softened
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
4 large burger buns or soft baps, split
4 slices Mozzarella
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium-low heat. Cook the onion, carrot and celery for 12-15 minutes until softened.
- Increase the heat and add the beef mince. Cook until browned all over, breaking it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon.
- Add the garlic, oregano, basil and bay leaf and cook for five minutes longer.
- Stir in the tomato purée, chopped tomatoes, red wine and beef stock. Season generously and cover with a lid. Simmer for one hour, stirring occasionally, until thick. Remove and discard the bay leaf.
- In a small bowl, combine the butter with the garlic and parsley and season with some black pepper. Mash with a fork to combine well.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4.
- Spread the tops and bottoms of the burger buns with garlic butter. Add around four tablespoons of the Bolognese sauce to each bottom bun, then add a slice of Mozzarella and sandwich together with the top buns.
- Place the sandwiches on a baking tray and brush the remaining garlic butter over the tops of the buns. Bake for 10 minutes until the cheese is melted and the buns are golden brown.
Per Serving 664kcals, 36g fat (17g saturated), 40.7g carbs (12.1g sugars), 47.1g protein, 9.2g fibre, 0.617g sodium