1 ½ tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 peppers, any colour, deseeded and chopped
1 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp smoked paprika
Salt and black pepper
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 green chillies, deseeded and chopped
1 tbsp tomato purée
2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
420ml vegetable stock
150g dried red lentils, well rinsed and drained
2 x 400g tins of kidney beans or mixed beans
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the onion, peppers, chilli powder, cumin, paprika and some salt and black pepper. Cook for 3-4 minutes longer.
- Add the garlic, chillies and tomato purée and cook for two minutes. Add the wine and cook for one minute longer, scraping any sticky bits from the bottom using a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes and stock. Bring to a boil, then add the lentils and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer gently for 15-20 minutes.
- Add the beans and season to taste, adding extra spices if desired. Simmer for 20 minutes longer for the flavours to combine.
- Serve with your favourite toppings and either rice, wraps, chips or potato wedges, reserving any leftovers for chilli cheese dogs.
247kcals, 5.6g fat (1.2g saturated), 39.7g carbs (7.6g sugars), 12.6g protein, 10g fibre, 0.444g sodium