Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
- Place all of the ingredients into a large pot and just cover with cold water. (Do not add salt as the crubeens are already quite salty.)
- Bring to the boil over a high heat, then turn to medium and simmer for 3-4 hours until the meat is falling off the bones.
- Remove the meat to a board and shred it using two forks.
Per Serving: 507kcals, 30.9g fat (8.8g saturated), 0g carbs, 0g sugars, 57.3g protein, 0g fibre, 0.331g sodium
MAKE IT YOURS:
- Make a fresh spring greens soup and stir in shredded crubeens.
- Add to pasta bakes, risotto, baked mac ‘n’ cheese or a chicken and leek pie.
- Stir through colcannon for a delicious flavour and texture.
- For crispy crubeen croquettes, add some softened onions and some seasoning to the shredded meat. Place the mixture in a rough log shape in the centre of a piece of cling film and roll up into a sausage, twisting the ends. Chill in the fridge for 3-4 hours, then slice into 1cm circles. Coat in flour, egg and breadcrumbs, then fry until golden and crispy.
Gluten-freeIrishDairy-freeDinnerPicnicLow sugarLow carbSpecial OccasionsHigh-proteinSt. Patrick’s DayCuisinesSlow cookerBudget mealsComfort foodMake it Healthy
Popular in Gluten-free
Harissa chicken thighs