1 tbsp olive oil
120g pancetta, chopped, or bacon lardons
2 small onions, thinly sliced
Salt and black pepper
1 garlic clove, crushed
8 sage leaves
1 tbsp cornflour, combined with 2 tbsp water
2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
1 small pumpkin, peeled, deseeded and thinly sliced
100g Gruyère, grated
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the pancetta and cook for 5-6 minutes until golden and lightly crisp. Remove to a plate using a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Reserving the fat in the pan, add the onions and half of the sage and cook slowly for 5-6 minutes until golden and soft, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper and add to the plate with the pancetta.
- Meanwhile, combine the cream, milk and cornflour mixture together in a saucepan. Add the garlic and the remaining sage and heat gently for five minutes; do not allow it to come to the boil.
- Stir in the mustard and remove and discard the sage. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4.
- In a large baking dish, layer up alternating layers of the pumpkin slices, onions and cheese. Pour over the infused cream. Top with the remaining cheese and put the remaining sage leaves on top. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil and increase the heat to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6. Cook for a further 20-25 minutes until golden brown on top and tender when pierced with the tip of a knife.
- Allow to sit for 8-10 minutes before serving.
Per serving 297kcals, 20.4g fat (8.2g saturated), 14.1g carbs, 5g sugars, 16.2g protein, 2.1g fibre, 0.577g sodium