1 tsp dried yeast
200ml full fat milk, warmed
100g caster sugar
3 egg yolks (save 1 egg white for brushing the muffins)
200g butter, melted
Zest of 2 oranges
Zest of 1 lemon
2 tsp vanilla extract
550g strong flour, sieved
Pinch of salt
Olive oil, for brushing
Juice of 1 orange
100g mixed peel
100g pistachios, chopped (reserve 25g for sprinkling)
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/ gas mark 4. Prepare the cups in a giant muffin tin by double lining with paper baking cases.
- Stir the yeast into the warm milk and allow to sit until bubbling.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the sugar, eggs and egg yolks together until light and creamy. Stir in the melted butter, orange and lemon zests and vanilla.
- Place the flour and salt into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook. Add the milk and yeast followed by the egg and sugar mixture. Knead for 10 minutes on a low setting. (You can knead by hand also; it will take about 15 minutes.)
- Brush a bowl with olive oil and add the dough. Cover and allow to rise in a warm draught-free place until the dough doubles in size; this may take two hours
- Meanwhile, soak the cranberries in the orange juice.
- When the dough is doubled in size, turn it onto a floured board and flatten it out. Drain the cranberries and sprinkle them onto the dough, along with the mixed peel and 75g of the pistachios. Knead until the fruit and nuts are thoroughly mixed through the dough.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal portions. Place in the muffin tins and allow to rise for 30 minutes. Brush the tops lightly with beaten egg white and sprinkle
with the remaining pistachios. Bake for 40 minutes or until the bottoms of the muffins sound hollow when tapped.
Per serving: 424kcals, 20.8g fat (10.1g saturated), 53.3g carbs (15.7g sugars), 9.6g protein, 3.2g fibre, 0.184g sodium