For the chilli:
1½ tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 green pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
Salt and black pepper
2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp tomato purée
500g beef mince
1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
150ml beef stock
1 x 400g tin of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
For the chips:
4 large floury potatoes, peeled, cut into 1cm-thick chips and rinsed in cold water
2 tbsp rapeseed or vegetable oil
160g Kilmeaden Mature Cheddar, grated
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a medium-high heat. Add the onion and pepper and cook for 5-6 minutes until softened. Add the chilli, garlic and a pinch each of salt and pepper and cook for one minute longer.
- Stir in the chilli powder, cumin and tomato purée. Cook for one minute, stirring.
- Add the mince and cook until completely browned throughout, breaking up any lumps using a wooden spoon. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Add the tomatoes and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the kidney beans and simmer for another 8-10 minutes or until reduced to a thick consistency with not much liquid left. Taste and add extra seasoning if needed. Keep warm.
- For the chips, preheat the oven to 240˚C/220˚C fan/gas mark 9. Place a large baking tray in the oven while it preheats.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil over a high heat. Add the chips and blanch for 3-4 minutes. Drain well, then allow to steam dry in the pan for 2-3 minutes, shaking every 20-30 seconds.
- Remove the tray from the oven and add the chips. Drizzle with the oil and turn the chips to ensure they are all well coated. Spread out in a single layer and season well with salt and black pepper.
- Bake the chips for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and crisp, turning the chips and rotating the tray twice during that time.
- When the chips look ready, push them together in the centre of the tray and top with half of the cheese. Add 3-4 ladlefuls of the chilli and top with the remaining cheese. Return to the oven for 2-3 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Drizzle with garlic mayonnaise to serve.
731kcals, 22.4g fat (6.7g saturated), 67.8g carbs (7.4g sugars), 64.9g protein, 15g fibre, 0.473g sodium