Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6. Lightly grease a large baking tray.
- Place the flour in a large mixing bowl and stir in the baking powder. Use your fingers to rub in the diced butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the thyme, apple and 75g of the Cheddar.
- Beat the egg in a small measuring jug, then add enough milk to make up to 150ml liquid.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and pour in the egg and milk. Use a butter knife to bring the mixture together into a soft dough.
- Transfer onto a lightly floured work surface and knead briefly until smooth. Roll the dough out until it is about 2cm thick. Using a 6cm pastry cutter, cut out 10 scones, rerolling the dough as you go.
- Arrange the scones on the prepared baking tray, spaced well apart.
- Brush the tops with a little extra milk and then sprinkle with the remaining grated Cheddar.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until risen and golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Serve the scones warm or at room temperature, buttered, with slices of good cheese and dollops of relish.
Per serving: 215kcals, 8.2g fat (4.8g saturated), 28.1g carbs, 3.2g sugars, 7.5g protein, 1.9g fibre, 0.135g sodium
Popular in Scones
Coconut and sweet potato scones