280g plain flour
2 tbsp sugar
2½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp salt
110g cold butter, cubed
120g cheddar cheese, grated
2 spring onions, split in half down the centre, then finely chopped
1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 220˚C/200˚C fan/gas mark 7.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in the grated cheese and spring onions.
- Gradually add the buttermilk, stirring the mixture together into a soft, sticky dough.
- With lightly floured hands, combine the dough into a ball. Place on a lightly floured work surface and bring the mixture together.
- Roll out the dough into a 1cm-thick round.
- Use a 6cm pastry cutter to cut out rounds from the dough, gathering up scraps and re-rolling the dough to get as many as possible (you should get about 12). Place the rounds on an ungreased baking tray.
- Brush the tops of the scones with the beaten egg.
- Place in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden.
Per serving: 191kcals, 8.9g fat (5.4g saturated), 21.7g carbs, 3.2g sugars, 6.1g protein, 0.7g fibre, 0.292g sodium