4 bone-in, skin-on chicken fillets
Salt and black pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
120g pancetta or streaky bacon, chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
Pinch of dried chilli flakes (optional)
2 x 400g tins of whole plum tomatoes
Handful of basil, chopped, plus extra to serve
1 x 250g ball of fresh Mozzarella, torn
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6. Pat the chicken fillets dry and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large ovenproof pan over a medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and cook for 4-5 minutes until browned, stirring frequently. Transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper and set aside.
- Add the chicken to the same pan and brown on all sides, working in batches if necessary to avoid crowding the pan. Transfer to a large plate and set aside. Pour off all but one tablespoon of the fat from the pan.
- Add the garlic and chilli flakes to the pan and cook for one minute. Stir in the tomatoes and basil. Cook for 10 minutes, breaking up the tomatoes with a spoon until thickened.
- Return the chicken to the pan. Transfer to the oven and cook for 40 minutes until the chicken is completely cooked throughout.
- Scatter the torn Mozzarella and the pancetta pieces over the top of the chicken and sauce and return to the oven for 3-4 minutes until the cheese is bubbling. Sprinkle with chopped basil and serve with garlic bread.
Per Serving: 558kcals, 30.1g fat (9.5g saturated), 12.1g carbs (8g sugars), 59g protein, 2.3g fibre, 0.96g sodium
Make it yours: For a twist on traditional garlic bread why not try this recipe for cheesy cauliflower garlic “bread” here.