8ears of corn, husked
1 tbsp plain flour
120ml cold water
Salt and black pepper
4 streaky bacon rashers
- Cut the tips off the corn cobs. Hold the corn steady on a chopping board, using a tea towel to protect your hand. Carefully run a paring knife down the sides of each cob to cut off the kernels, then place them in a bowl.
- Scrape the back of the blade against the cobs to press all of the milky liquid out into the bowl.
- In a cup, combine the flour with a splash of water and stir into a paste.
- Add the cream, cold water and flour paste to the corn and stir to combine well. Season with some salt and black pepper.
- Heat a large pan over a medium heat. Add the bacon and cook on both sides until crispy. Remove the bacon to a plate, leaving the grease in the pan.
- Return the pan to the heat, add the corn mixture and turn heat to medium-low. Cook for 30-40 minutes, stirring regularly, until it becomes creamy.
- Crumble the bacon and stir the pieces into the creamed corn. Taste and add more salt and/or pepper as needed.
Per serving: 266kcals, 12.2g fat (4.7g saturated), 31.8g carbs, 5.6g sugars, 11.8g protein, 3.5g fibre, 0.519g sodium
MAKE IT YOURS:
To make this vegetarian, simply omit the bacon and use 2 tbsp butter or coconut oil instead of the bacon grease.
Delicious with roast chicken!