Salt and black pepper
Olive oil, for greasing
1 aubergine, sliced into 1cm-thick rounds
2 baguettes, split
400ml tomato passata
1 x 250g ball of Mozzarella, thinly sliced
Fresh basil, torn
- Preheat the oven to 230°C/210°C fan/gas mark 8. Lightly grease a baking tray with olive oil.
- Beat the eggs together in a shallow bowl and season with salt and black pepper. Place the breadcrumbs in a second shallow bowl.
- Dip the aubergine slices in the beaten egg, then dredge in breadcrumbs, pressing them on to coat completely. Place the crumbed aubergine slices on the prepared baking tray. Bake, without turning, for 18-20 minutes until golden and tender, then remove from the oven.
- Place the baguettes cut-side up on a separate baking tray. Pull out some of the bread from each of the baguette halves to create a shallow well in each one.
- Generously spread both halves with tomato passata, then layer up with the aubergine slices and Mozzarella.
- Bake for another 8-10 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbling. Top with torn fresh basil and serve with a green salad.
407kcals, 7.9g fat (3.1g saturated), 63.9g carbs, 7.2g sugars, 19.9g protein, 8.3g fibre, 0.719g sodium