5 eggs, separated
165g caster sugar (plus extra to sprinkle)
1⁄4 tsp salt
185ml olive oil
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
150g plain flour
1 x 410g tin of apricot halves, drained
- Preheat the oven to 170 ̊C/150 ̊C fan/gas mark 3. Grease and line a 20cm tin with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg whites with an electric mixer until just foamy. Gradually add 55g of the caster sugar, whisking well between each addition, until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, remaining (110g) caster sugar and salt, until pale and thick.
- Gradually drizzle in the olive oil, whisking on high speed until all of it has been added.
- Gently fold in the lemon zest and juice, rosemary and flour until combined.
- Fold in one-third of the egg whites to loosen the mixture, and then gently fold in the remaining egg whites until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin, and arrange the apricot halves on top, cut-side down.
- Sprinkle the cake with some caster sugar and bake for about 45-50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool before serving with some fresh cream.
Per Serving 318kcals, 19.9g fat (3.2g saturated), 33.2g carbs (16.9g sugars), 4.4g protein, 0.6g fibre, 0.089g sodium