For the cupcakes
165g butter, softened
165g caster sugar
2 large eggs
1tsp Dr. Oetker Madagascan Vanilla Extract
165g self-raising flour
½ tsp Dr. Oetker Gluten Free Baking Powder
A pinch of salt
Dr. Oetker Rainbow Cupcake Cases (blue and red)
300g Dr. Oetker 26% White Chocolate
Dr. Oetker Extra Strong Food Colour Gel (blue and red)
6 packs popping candy
2 tubs Dr. Oetker Vanilla Style Buttercream
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with half red and half blue Dr. Oetker Rainbow Cupcake Cases.
- In a large bowl, beat together all cupcake ingredients until smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into the baking cases and bake for 15-20 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
- For the chocolate firework, melt the white chocolate according to packet instructions.
- Divide the white chocolate into 3 bowls. To one bowl add a few drops of Dr. Oetker Extra Strong Blue Food Colour Gel and to another bowl add a few drops of Dr. Oetker Extra Strong Red Food Colour Gel. Stir and add more gel until you reach your desired colour. Leave the remaining bowl white.
- Line a baking tray with non stick parchment paper. Spoon each colour to separate piping bags and cut a small hole at the end of each bag.
- On the prepared tray, drizzle each colour of white chocolate in a firework shape, over lapping each of the colours. Place in the fridge and allow to set for about 5-8 minutes.
- Once the cupcakes are cooled, use a teaspoon to remove some of the middle of each cupcake. Add 1 teaspoons of popping candy into each.
- Soften the Dr. Oetker Vanilla Style Butterceam in the tub by giving it a quick stir with a spoon. Add the buttercream to a piping bag with a large star nozzle.
- Swirl the buttercream on top of each cupcake.
- Remove the white chocolate fireworks from the fridge, once set. Stick the fireworks standing up on the top of each cupcake.
- If you don’t have a piping bag, you can use a zip lock bag and snip the corner.
- Using a large ice-cream scoop is a great way to get even cupcakes when adding the batter to the cupcake cases.
- If you don’t have nozzles, you can spread the buttercream on the cupcake with the back of a spoon.
- Have fun with the fillings of the cupcakes, you can add your favourite sweets instead of the popping candy.
This recipe is sponsored by Dr. Oetker