Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the lime curd:
For the lime sponge:
For the lime icing:
- To make the lime curd, place the egg yolks, sugar, lime zest and juice and salt in a bowl set over a pot of simmering water.
- Whisk until well combined and whisk for about 10 minutes, until the mix becomes thick, whisking constantly to prevent curdling.
- Remove the curd from the heat and gradually whisk in the butter, one cube at a time, allowing each to melt before adding the next. Transfer into a jug and set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 190 ̊C/170 ̊C fan/gas mark 5. Line two 20cm cake tins with non- stick parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Fold in the flour, baking powder, milk and lime zest. Spoon the batter into the prepared cake tins and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.
- For the lime icing, stir together the icing sugar and lime juice to form a spreadable mixture. If the icing is too thick, add more lime juice; if it gets too thin, add more icing sugar.
- To assemble the cake, place the first sponge on a cake stand or serving plate. Spread with a thick layer of lime curd and place the other sponge on top.
- Spread the lime icing on the top sponge and allow it to drip down the sides slightly. Decorate the top of the cake with some lime zest before serving.
Per serving: 317kcals, 14g fat (6.3g saturated), 35g carbs (10.9g sugars), 16.1g protein, 12.4g fibre, 0.861g sodium
Popular in Cakes
Mini pineapple upside-down cakes