500g strong wholemeal flour, plus extra for dusting
1 x 7g sachet of dried fast-action yeast
1 tbsp salt
100g mixed seeds, plus extra to sprinkle
50g walnuts, chopped
350ml lukewarm water
Vegetable oil, for oiling the bowl
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, yeast, salt, seeds and walnuts. Make a well in the centre and pour in the water, then mix to form a wet dough.
- Transfer to a lightly-floured work surface and knead for 10 -12 minutes until elastic.
- Place the dough in a clean, oiled bowl and cover with a clean tea towel. Place in a warm place and leave to rise for 1 hour, until doubled in size.
- Place the dough on a baking tray and sprinkle with seeds. Leave to prove for 40 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 220˚C/200˚C fan/gas mark 7. Bake the bread for 15 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 190˚C/170˚C fan/gas mark 5 and bake for another 30 minutes. The bread is ready when a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean and it sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Per serving: 217kcals, 7.8g fat (0.9g saturated), 31.7g carbs, 0g sugars, 8.5g protein, 4.9g fibre, 0.581g sodium