4 eggs (Weigh these with the shell attached, your other ingredients should reflect that weight. For example – 4 eggs weigh 378g, your flour, butter and sugar will all weigh 378g each)
Self-raising flour (same weight as your 4 eggs)
Caster sugar (same weight as your 4 eggs)
Avonmore unsalted butter (same weight as your 4 eggs)
1tsp of vanilla extract
585ml pot of Avonmore Whipped Cream
1 jar of raspberry jam
Fresh berries to decorate (we recommend raspberries or strawberries)
- Preheat the oven to 190˚C/170˚C fan/gas mark 5. Line two 20cm round cake tins by cutting two circles of parchment or grease proof paper to fit the bottom of the tin. Grease the sides of the tin with a little butter or oil. Add one tablespoon of flour to the tin and rotate to coat the sides. Tap out the excess flour.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Slowly stream in the beaten eggs and mix together until smooth. Sift in the flour and baking powder.
- Add in the milk and mix until just combined.
- Evenly divide the mixture between the prepared tins. Smooth and level the top using the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 20 minutes. The cake should be golden in colour and should be springy to the touch. Transfer the cake to a wire rack until completely cooled.
- Soften the jam by giving it a quick stir with a spoon.
- Spoon the jam onto one of the sponges, then layer with strawberries (if using) and the freshly-whipped cream. Sandwich the other sponge on top. Give your cake a dusting with icing sugar before serving.
Per Serving 343kcals, 18.9g fat (11.3g saturated), 40.3g carbs, 21.6g sugars, 4.7g protein, 0.6g fibre, 0.146g sodium