200g butter, at room temperature
200g caster sugar
4 large eggs
200g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp milk
For the filling:
150ml fresh cream
1 tbsp icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla paste
50g strawberry jam Strawberries, sliced (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 190 ̊C/170 ̊C fan/gas mark 5. Line two 20cm round cake tins with non-stick parchment paper.
- In a bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sieve in the flour and baking powder. Add the milk and fold together until just combined.
- Evenly divide the mixture between the prepared tins and level the tops using the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and allow the sponges to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine the cream, icing sugar and vanilla paste. Whip the cream just until it reaches a spreadable consistency; be careful not to over-beat.
- Soften the jam by giving it a quick mix with a spoon.
- Place the first sponge on your serving plate or stand. Spoon on the jam and spread it over the sponge.
- Spoon on the whipped cream and gently spread it out into a thick layer.
- Add some sliced strawberries, if desired. Place the other sponge on top to sandwich the cake together. Give it a dusting with icing sugar and top with some halved strawberries.
369kcals, 21.2g fat (11g saturated), 41.5g carbs (22.1g sugars), 5.3g protein, 0.8g fibre, 0.145g sodium